Jamal Roberts, a Meridian native, has been selected to appear on “Sunday Best," a gospel singing competition on BET.
Returning from a four-year hiatus, “Sunday Best” will make its return to BET at 7 p.m on Sunday, June 30, with two new episodes, according to the BET website.
Roberts, a 2016 Meridian High School graduate, will be among the top 20 contestants in the gospel singing competition. Roberts said he entered a video singing “His Eye is On the Sparrow” through an online submissions process.
"'Sunday Best' has been coming on since I was a young child, and I have always wanted to be on it,” Roberts said. “I want people to be blessed by my singing, and competing on the show will give me more exposure and hopefully more opportunities."
The gospel show welcomes back Grammy Award-winning music legend Kirk Franklin as host, gospel songstress and host of "Get Up Mornings," Erica Campbell as a judge; and Kelly Price and Jonathan McReynolds as new additions to the panel.
The contestants will have to perform a capella with no band support, as judges narrow down the field from 20 to the top 10. The top 20 contestants are:
• Antonio Ro, 31, Durhan, N.C.
• Ashleey Barnes, 24, Memphis, Tenn.
• Brielle Frage, 21, Avenel, N.J.
• Cornelius Edwards, 33, West Palm Beach, Fla.
• Chelsey Barnes, 22, Memphis, Tenn.
• Emorja Roberson, 27, South Bend, Ind.
• Jamal Roberts, 22, Meridian, Miss.
• James Thompson, 23, Derby UK.
• Jason Warrior, 23, Chicago, Ill.
• Joshua Copeland, 37, Salisbury, Md.
• Kayva Offord, 27, Orange, Texas.
• Keyla Richardson, 22, Pensacola, Fla.
• Lakeesha Rice, 36, Greensboro, N.C.
• Linda Williams, 52, University Heights, Ohio.
• Melvin Crispell III, 21, Charlotte, N.C.
• Opal Staples, 38, Chicago, Ill.
• Roy Moye, 26, Wichita, Kan.
• Tiffany Andrews, 35, Newark, N.J.
• Tiffiny Moore, 35, Augusta, Ga.
• Yoonjung Park, 32, South Korea.