Meridian Star

October 6, 2012

Enterprise edges rival Clarkdale for first win

By Tony Tsoukalas /
The Meridian Star

ENTERPRISE —     It took seven weeks, but Friday night Enterprise High School earned its first win of the season, defeating Clarkdale 29-27 at L.J. Davis Field.

    “It is always good to get that first one,” Jimmerson said. “We still have some work to do, but it is nice to have that first win under our belt.”

    After holding Clarkdale on fourth down deep in scoring territory, it did not take long for Enterprise to get on the scoreboard. On Enterprise’s first play from scrimmage, running back Jackson Turner found a hole and simply ran right through Clarkdale defenders 72 yards to the end zone to put Enterprise up 7-0 with 4:53 left in the first quarter.

    However, Clarkdale marched right back. The visitors took advantage of costly Enterprise penalties and moved methodically down the field on eight plays, ending in a 7-yard touchdown from Dustin Alsup to tie the game at 7-7.

    Enterprise continued to pound the ball against Clarkdale in the second quarter and marched back on its next drive to bring the score to 15-7 after Dylan Taylor ran in a touchdown from 8 yards out followed by a successful two-point try.

    Clarkdale would not go away though, as Spencer Dickerson broke free on a 39-yard touchdown before Alsup put Clarkdale in the lead 20-15 with 3:19 left in the half on his second touchdown of the day.

    But just as he had all game, Turner struck back and punished Clarkdale defenders, busting free on a 60-yard touchdown to give Enterprise a 23-20 lead heading into the half. Turner finished the day with 240 yards and three touchdowns for Enterprise.

    “It was a big game against Clarkdale,” Turner said. “I haven't been doing real well lately, I had a hurt arm and I had a big brace on it. I just got it off tonight, and it felt great. I felt really good out there.”

    The bruising running back's final touchdown came with 5:02 left in the third quarter, as he put Enterprise up 29-20 on a 37-yard run.

    Enterprise players could smell a win, as the game headed into the fourth quarter. When Clarkdale failed on fourth-and-10 from its own 20, the Bulldogs could practically taste their first win.

    However, a sure win for Enterprise soon began to unravel.

    An eery fog began to settle on the field, as Enterprise continued to run the clock on third-and-10. The plan was simple, a handoff to leading rusher Turner to ice the game. However the normally sure-handed back put it on the ground, where Clarkdale defensive lineman Thorton Moffite scooped it up and rumbled 80 yards to the end zone to bring Clarkdale back from the dead, trailing only 29-27 with 5:05 to go.

    “I was thinking here we go again,” Jimmerson said. “We couldn't let anything bad happen and, here we go again.”

    However, Enterprise would hold on from there. A failed onside kick gave Enterprise the ball back, and the Bulldogs would not let go of the ball or the lead, as the ran out the clock and any hope of a Clarkdale comeback.

    “We just couldn't find a stop there at the end,” Clarkdale head coach Chris Richmond said. “I still really proud of our guys, they left it on the field. I just couldn't be any more proud of them.”

    Clarkdale moved to 0-8 with the loss and will host Bay Springs next week, while Enterprise (1-6) will travel to Mize. The win also gives Enterprise new life in the Division 7-2A playoff hunt.

    “We got a whole new life,” Turner said. “We just got to start all over.”