SCOOBA – East Mississippi Community College guard Avery Woodson was named MACJC Men’s Basketball Player of the Week honors for his individual efforts during a pair of EMCC home victories a week ago.
Woodson, a Memphis signee, averaged 24.0 points, 8.0 rebounds and 2.5 assists for the week in helping lead the EMCC Lions to convincing wins over William Carey College’s junior varsity team (118-60) and Mississippi Delta (86-45). In the two outings, he connected on 52 percent (17-33 FGs) overall from the field and 48 percent (13-27 treys) from beyond the three-point arc.
After totaling 23 points, including 7-of-15 three-point shooting, nine rebounds, four assists, two blocks and a steal against WCC’s JV squad, Woodson followed with 25 points (6-12 treys) and seven boards versus the MDCC Trojans.
For the season, Woodson is averaging a team-leading 16.0 points per game while ranking third on the club in rebounds (5.6 rpg) and assists (1.6 apg). With eight 20-point efforts on the year, the former all-state standout from Wayne County High School is shooting 46 percent overall from the field, 41 percent from the three-point arc and 74 percent from the charity stripe.
Following their impressive Monday road sweep over Northeast Mississippi, the East Mississippi basketball teams now prepare for Thursday’s crucial home doubleheader against rival Itawamba with both the MACJC North Division men’s and women’s titles possibly on the line.
- EMCC signal-caller looks to take the reins this season
- Enterprise 1 squad wins summer league title
- Local golfers place well at MPGA event
- Enterprise squads square off
- East Central CC continues process of installing new FieldTurf
- Local has the experience of a lifetime
- Local All-Stars claim regional championship
- Q.V. Sykes hosting summer ball league
- Manning looks to improve home state
- Newton County prepared for upcoming season
- More Sports Headlines