From School Reports
The Meridian Community College baseball team and softball team announced Tuesday morning that it will be postponing games this week due to weather problems in the area.
The MCC softball was scheduled to open its 2014 regular season on the road Tuesday in Tuscaloosa, Ala., against Shelton State, but heavy rain has forced the doubleheader to be rescheduled.
The Lady Eagles will now open the regular season on Thursday at Shelton State in a doubleheader beginning at 1 p.m. MCC softball will play its first home games of the 2014 season next Tuesday at Tommy McDonald Field against Shelton State beginning at 2 p.m.
The Lady Eagles will also host the Rush Invitational Tournament February 21-22 as a part of its home stand to open the regular season.
The MCC baseball team has also announced that it will postpone a doubleheader scheduled for today with Jones County Junior College at Scaggs Field due to the weather issues. The games have already been rescheduled and the two teams will now play Feb. 23 at Scaggs Field beginning at 1 p.m. MCC baseball will return to action this weekend as a part of the 2014 Rush Invitational Tournament at Scaggs Field.
MCC will play host to Jefferson College (MO.) and Kaskaskia College (IL.) this weekend for the annual tournament. The Eagles will play Kaskaskia Saturday at 11 a.m. and Jefferson College later that day at 5 p.m. to open the tournament. MCC will conclude the tournament by taking on Jefferson College Sunday morning beginning at 11 a.m. and Kaskaskia later that evening at 5 p.m.
MCC is currently 0-2 to begin the 2014 season after dropping a pair of games on the road this past Saturday.
The Eagles fell to Mineral Area (MO.) 14-10 and Hinds Community College 1-0. Both games were played over the weekend in Raymond.
From School Reports
- Enterprise edges Clarkdale, 2-0; Clarkdale eliminated from playoffs
- Newton Co. earns division crown; West wins
- East Central CC to host free MLB competition
- EMCC Lady Lions swept on the road
- ECCC tabs Bender for JUCO hall of fame
- Local cheer standouts make Division I squads
- SEL baseball is seeking an undefeated district record for the fourth straight season
- Enterprise tops Clarkdale
- MCC’s Cavin qualifies for national tournament championship
- Colston’s 10 strikeouts leads way as Quitman beats Greene County
- More Sports Headlines