The accompanying images were taken by NASA satellites and a joint NASA/U.S. Geological Survey satellite, which orbits about 440 miles above Earth collecting data that are used to study changes in land cover, forest growth, water resources and the atmosphere.
Irrigation systems near Garden City, Kansas: Light colors are harvested fields; red are still growing.
Rare rock and ice are bright red in this image of eastern Russia's dormant Anyuyskiy volcano.
The Empty Quarter, in the southern part of the Arabian Peninsula, is a huge sand desert.
Lake Disappointment, amid sand dunes in western Australia, has salty deposits that look white.
- New Today
- Vicksburg museum asks Navy for USS Vicksburg items
- Ex-cop acquitted in retrial over deadly shooting
- Trial delayed for 3 men in Miss. bank heists
- Man arrested in Ripley shooting death
- 2 men in pipe bomb case to be sentenced
- Miss. high court ruling stands in harassment case
- CertainTeed to reopen Meridian plant in 2014
- VA, National Guard join in book announcement
- Ala. man admits shooting dolphin in Miss. Sound
- Court orders new sentencing in prize money scam
- More New Today Headlines