The accompanying images were taken by NASA satellites and a joint NASA/U.S. Geological Survey satellite, which orbits about 440 miles above Earth collecting data that are used to study changes in land cover, forest growth, water resources and the atmosphere.
Irrigation systems near Garden City, Kansas: Light colors are harvested fields; red are still growing.
Rare rock and ice are bright red in this image of eastern Russia's dormant Anyuyskiy volcano.
The Empty Quarter, in the southern part of the Arabian Peninsula, is a huge sand desert.
Lake Disappointment, amid sand dunes in western Australia, has salty deposits that look white.
- New Today
- World honors D-Day's fallen on 70th anniversary
- Reward increased in death of Corinth taxi driver
- Rienzi man killed in shooting
- MDOT worker dies in accident
- Bergdahl's unit comrades recount his disappearance
- House GOP conflicted on health law alternative
- Horn Lake police investigate death
- Willie gets life sentence for highway slaying
- Miss. GOP Senate candidates face likely runoff
- 1st Mississippi charter school closer to opening
- More New Today Headlines