About $6 million of the development's cost is being covered through tax credits designed to assist in rehabilitating historic buildings while preserving those buildings' historic aspects. The state Department of Archives and History is working with developers in that capacity.
The building is a named for the late U.S. Sen. James O. Eastland. Eastland, a Democrat, was appointed to the U.S. Senate in 1941. He was elected to the Senate in 1942 and served until his retirement in 1978. He was chairman of the judiciary committee from 1956-78. He died in 1986.