Meridian Star

January 28, 2013

Natchez man dies from burns suffered in house fire


Associated Press

NATCHEZ, Miss. — A 70-year-old Natchez man has died from severe burns to his upper body and face days after he fell asleep smoking a cigarette resulting in his bed and sheets catching fire.

Officials tell The Natchez Democrat Bill Grover Hammett died Saturday at the Joseph M. Still burn center at Doctors Hospital in Augusta, Ga.

Adams County Sheriff Chuck Mayfield said deputies responded to a report of a house fire at 1:06 a.m. Wednesday.

Mayfield said arson investigator Sgt. Buddy Frank inspected the house after the fire and was able to corroborate Hammett's statement about how the fire started.