Meridian Star

New Today

January 28, 2013

Natchez man dies from burns suffered in house fire

NATCHEZ, Miss. — A 70-year-old Natchez man has died from severe burns to his upper body and face days after he fell asleep smoking a cigarette resulting in his bed and sheets catching fire.

Officials tell The Natchez Democrat Bill Grover Hammett died Saturday at the Joseph M. Still burn center at Doctors Hospital in Augusta, Ga.

Adams County Sheriff Chuck Mayfield said deputies responded to a report of a house fire at 1:06 a.m. Wednesday.

Mayfield said arson investigator Sgt. Buddy Frank inspected the house after the fire and was able to corroborate Hammett's statement about how the fire started.

 

1
Text Only
New Today
Biz Marquee
New Today
Poll

Do you think a historic marker should be placed where the Council of Federated Organizations (COFO) Building stood?

Yes
No
     View Results
Facebook
Facebook
Twitter Updates
Follow us on twitter
AP Video
Bon Jovi Helps Open Low-income Housing in Philly Pipeline Opponents Protest on National Mall Hagel Gets Preview of New High-tech Projects S.C. Man Apologizes for Naked Walk in Wal-Mart New Country Music Hall of Fame Inductees Named 'Piles' of Bodies in South Sudan Slaughter New Yorkers Celebrate Cherry Blossom Blooms SCOTUS Hears Tv-over-Internet Case Justice Dept. Broadening Criteria for Clemency Chief Mate: Crew Told to Escape After Passengers 'Miss Meadows' Takes Holmes Back to Her Roots Biden: Russia Must Stop Talking, Start Acting David Moyes Out As Manchester United Manager Raw: Leopard Bites Man in India Iowa College Finds Beauty in Bulldogs High Court to Hear Dispute of TV Over Internet Stowaway Teen Forces Review of Airport Security
Hyperlocal Search
Premier Guide
Find a business

Walking Fingers
Maps, Menus, Store hours, Coupons, and more...
Premier Guide