By Steve Gillespie / Managing Editor
The Meridian Star
Meridian Main Street officials announced holiday plans for this year's edition of Merry Meridian during a press conference Thursday.
More items may be added to the healthy list of events that have been planned.
One of the longest running attractions during the holiday season in Meridian is the Trees of Christmas display at Merrehope and the F.W. Williams home, 905 Martin Luther King Jr. Drive.
This year marks the 44th season for Trees of Christmas featuring more than 20 decorated trees. This year's theme is Broadway, and each of the trees will be decorated to depict a Broadway play.
Betty Lou Jones, who serves as president of Merrehope, said some of the Broadway hits that will come to life in the decorations include "Phantom of the Opera," "South Pacific," "Peter Pan," and many more.
the Opening Candlelight Gala for Merrehope's Trees of Christmas is scheduled for Thursday, Nov. 15, 5-9 p.m., and it will include refreshments, musical entertainment, and tours.
Here's a listing of events on the 2012 Merry Meridian schedule. Watch for more details on these events and others in the Meridian Star:
Thursday, Nov. 8
• Meridian Community College's MCC Jazz Band will perform in McCain Theater on the MCC campus at 7 p.m.
Saturday, Nov. 10
• Trinity Presbyterian Church will hold its Holiday Gift Bazaar, 9 a.m.-3 p.m.
• Christmas in the Highlands: A Holiday Craft Show will be held at Highland Baptist Church, 9 a.m.-3 p.m.
• Artinis at the Museum will be held at the Meridian Museum of Art, 7-9 p.m.
Thursday, Nov. 15
• Candlelight Gala at Merrehope, 5-9 p.m.
• MCC Dimensions performs its Fall Semester Concert at Meridian Community College in McCain Theater, 7 p.m.
Friday, Nov. 16-Saturday, Dec. 29
• Merrehope's 44th Annual Trees of Christmas, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Saturday.
Sunday, Nov. 25
• The Miss Merry Meridian Pageant will be held at Elegance Ballroom Dance Studio on Front Street in downtown Meridian, 2 p.m. The pageant is open to girls age 5 to 18. Winners will ride in the Meridian Holiday Parade. For more information, call Penny Randall at 601-481-5712
Tuesday, Nov. 27
• Tree Lighting Ceremony at City Hall, 5 p.m.
• "The Forgotten Carols: A Magical Family Musical" will be staged at the Temple Theater, 7 p.m.
Friday, Nov. 30
• The Holiday Express Christmas Train rolls into Union Station, 4 p.m.
Saturday, Dec. 1
• The Junior Auxiliary hosts Breakfast with Santa at St. Paul's Episcopal Church with seatings scheduled for 8:30 a.m. and 10:30 a.m.
• The Merry Meridian Boutique Market & Outdoor Market will be set up at the MSU Riley Center, 9 a.m.7 p.m.
• The Meridian Museum of Art will offer its Merry Museum Children's Art Workshop, 10 a.m.
• The City of Meridian and Meridian Main Street's Holiday Parade will be held in downtown Meridian beginning at 5 p.m.
Sunday, Dec. 2
• Merrehope will have its Champagne Brunch noon-2 p.m.
Tuesday, Dec. 4
• MCC Christmas Gala Chorus and Guitar Ensemble will be held at Meridian Community College's McCain Theater, 7 p.m.
Thursday, Dec. 6-9
• Highland Baptist Church's Singing Christmas Tree performances are scheduled for 7 p.m. Thursday-Friday and Sunday at 4 p.m. and 7 p.m.
Saturday, Dec. 8
• Meridian Symphony Orchestra presents its Peppermint Pops Concert at the MSU Riley Center, 7 p.m.
Sunday, Dec. 9
• The Temple Theater presents "The Nutcracker," 2 p.m.
Saturday, Dec. 15
• John Tesh Big Band Christmas comes to the MSU Riley Center, 7:30 p.m.