MERIDIAN — Larger roles
• Albert Peterson: (Tenor/Baritone) 28-37 years; The nervous, excitable, president of the Almaelou Music Corporation who pays more attention to his mother than to his girl friend; large role requiring good comic timing and pleasant singing voice for three nice solos; some dancing skill a plus.
• Rose Alvarez: (Alto) 26-35 years; Albert’s spitfire secretary and want-to-be fiancé with a touch of sarcasm who gets fed up with waiting for him to propose; lots of featured singing and dancing.
• Conrad Birdie: (Baritone) 21-30 years; The “Elvis-style” rock star that is headed into the army; he must be able to sing well, move like a rock star, and burp!
• Kim MacAfee: (Soprano) 14-17 years; confident, sincere teen-aged girl, who is more mature than her “Conrad-Crazy” girlfriends; some dancing required
• Mr. Harry MacAfee: (Tenor) 40-45 years; The frustrated father of Kim and Randolph who feels his stature as a parent is continually challenged; a very funny role for a good, loud, singer with some dance movement
• Mrs. Doris MacAfee: (Soprano/Alto) 40-45 years; the tireless, proper, caring mother of Kim and Randolph who knows just how to handle her irritable husband; some dance movement
• Mae Peterson: (Alto) 60+ years; Albert’s mother, the quintessential “Mamma,” who never stops parenting Albert; one of the funniest roles in the show
• Hugo Peabody: 16-17 years; somewhat dorky, but devoted steady boyfriend of Kim who is jealous of Conrad Birdie.
• Ursula Merkle: The hyper-enthusiastic teen-aged girlfriend of Kim’s who leads the fans screaming for Conrad Birdie.
Teen Chorus: (All Ranges) 13-17 years; lots of energetic male and female singer/dancers who are fans of Conrad Birdie.
• Randolph MacAfee: (Young boy voice) 8-10 years; Kim’s perky younger brother; sings in two songs
• Mayor: (All Ranges) 50 + years; Mayor of Sweet Apple, Ohio; sings one feature song; also appears on the Ed Sullivan Show.
• Mayor’s Wife: (All Ranges) 50+ years; Mayor’s wife, Edna; sings one feature song; also appears on the Ed Sullivan Show.
• Gloria Rasputin: (Soprano) 28-32 years; the gum-chewing, lame-brained, dancing secretary who is Mae Peterson’s choice to replace Rosie as Albert’s fiancé.
• Charles F. Maude: (Tenor) 30+years; Proprietor of “Maude’s Roadside Retreat”; sings a part in the male quartet.
• Maude’s Quartet: (Various Quartet Ranges) 25-55 years; Customers in at Maude’s who sing in the male quartet.
• Townspeople/Parents: Varying ages and vocal ranges and some speaking lines
• Policemen, Reporters, Conrad’s Guitar Man, Dishwasher, Television Cameramen, Train Conductor, Train Station Workers, Location Crew Members, Sweet Apple, Ohio Shriners, and Voice of Ed Sullivan: Varying ages and speaking lines
There are more than 50 major and minor speaking and singing roles to be cast, which include adult parts and a large chorus of teenagers. The Casting Committee suggests those auditioning for singing roles and chorus, sing a song from the musical. A piano accompanist will be available as well as scores. Those wishing to sing their own selection should furnish sheet music, no tape recordings.
Those auditioning should be prepared to work with the choreographer as part of the audition. Carol Merrill is the choreographer for this production. David Benson is the Music Director and Carey Smith directs the orchestra.
The show requires a large production crew. Anyone interested in working on the stage crew, set, props, and costumes, are urged to attend.
For more information, call the MLT office at (601) 482-6371 or visit the website at meridianlittletheatre.com.