Meridian Star

Local News

October 9, 2009

Southern History

Eutaw’s doors of hospitality open this weekend

from staff reports



The Annual Tour of Homes in Eutaw, Ala., take place today and Sunday.

The tour is a favorite of those who love Southern history, architecture and antiques. This year the tour includes five homes and two churches. Also included in the tour this year will be the historic homes that are for sale.

In addition to five diverse and interesting homes, pilgrimage visitors will see the Vaughn Morrow house (1841), the tour center, where tickets are sold. St. Stephens Church (1914) and The First Presbyterian Church (1851) will be open both afternoons for tour.

Belles from Tuscaloosa will be dressed in antebellum costumes to greet visitors.

The homes for sale also will be open and included in the ticket price.

All the local antique stores will be open during the event. There also will be a sale of collections of sterling silver flatware, including many discontinued patterns, coin collections, and elegant estate jewelry.

Pies, cakes, pastries, baked goods and lunches will be for sale on both days.



Homes on tour



• The Asa White-Colson house was built by Asa White in 1838. This home has many unusual features such as a two-tiered covered gallery across the front of the house with six doorways to the porches, distinctive millwork, and a dramatic staircase winding to the third floor. This house is considered transitional between Federal and Greek revival architecture. This house still stands behind a picket fence and looks much the same as when built by Colonel Asa White. The home was purchased in 1877 by Henry McGiffert . The home is presently owned by descendents of Mc Giffert, Fred and Vickie Colson.

• Everhope Plantation was constructed in 1852 by Nathan Mullin Carpenter. He built this antebellum home as part of a 667 acre cotton plantation. It is a classic example of a Greek revival plantation home. The house has four large octagonal columns across the front with pilasters and full entablature above the first level entrance and the balcony entrance. It is typical in plans containing a central hall with two rooms on each side on both levels and it has exterior chimneys on each gable end. The architrave and entrance decorations are lighter on this house than those of other houses, showing the influence of the Victorian style that was coming into vogue. It has been completely restored and furnished with period antiques. The owners David and Pam Harmon welcome you to their home.

Text Only
Local News
Facebook
Helium debate
Helium
Twitter Updates
AP Video
Judge Ponders Overturning Colo. Gay Marriage Ban Airlines Halt Travel to Israel Amid Violence NYPD Chief Calls for 'use of Force' Retraining VA Nominee McDonald Goes Before Congress Bush: Don't Worry, Sugarland Isn't Breaking Up US Official: Most Migrant Children to Be Removed Police Probing Brooklyn Bridge Flag Switch CDC Head Concerned About a Post-antibiotic Era Raw: First Lady Says `Drink Up' More Water Courts Conflicted Over Healthcare Law Holder Urges Bipartisanship on Immigration Raw: Truck, Train Crash Leads to Fireball US Airlines Cancel Israel Flights Obama Signs Workforce Training Law Crash Victims' Remains Reach Ukraine-held City Diplomatic Push Intensifies to End War in Gaza Cat Fans Lap Up Feline Film Festival Michigan Plant's Goal: Flower and Die Veteran Creates Job During High Unemployment
Hyperlocal Search
Premier Guide
Find a business

Walking Fingers
Maps, Menus, Store hours, Coupons, and more...
Premier Guide