Meridian Star

May 3, 2013

Two charged in recent armed robbery

By Brian Livingston /
The Meridian Star

MERIDIAN —     Early Thursday morning, Meridian Police Department officers arrested the second of two men who on Sunday allegedly attempted to rob a local convenience store that resulted in a gun battle.

    MPD Capt. Dean Harper, commander of the department's Criminal Investigation Division, said Jamie Laramzy Elaire, 17, of 2204 48th Ave., was taken into custody Thursday morning and charged with armed robbery, aggravated assault with a weapon and possession of marijuana. Harper said Elaire was placed on a $1 million bond for each of the armed robbery and aggravated assault charges and $389 for the marijuana possession offense. According to Lauderdale County Sheriff's Department jail records, Elaire was arrested at a residence located in the 2300 block of 16th Avenue.

    MPD authorities already had the other suspect in hand as he was receiving treatment for gunshot wounds as a result of the gun battle that erupted at the store Sunday.

    Harper said Terry T. Ford, 20, of 1723 18th St., was charged upon his release from a Meridian hospital with armed robbery, aggravated assault and possession of a stolen firearm. Ford's bond was set at $1 million for each of the armed robbery and aggravated assault charges and $500,000 bond for the stolen firearm offense. Harper said the firearm Ford allegedly used in the incident was stolen from a vehicle in Meridian in March of this year.

    Ford was being held under guard at the Meridian hospital pending charges after Ford was shot in the hand and shoulder.

    About 9:30 p.m. Sunday, Ford and Elaire are said to have entered the Five Points Food Mart location on 14th Street in an attempt to rob the clerk. Harper said the clerk pulled a handgun and several shots were exchanged between the three men. The clerk suffered a superficial wound as a bullet grazed his arm but Ford was hit twice.

    Ford was found by police minutes later hiding in an apartment in the Highway Village Apartment Complex. He was transported to a Meridian hospital where he received treatment while under guard.