Special to The Star
The Meridian Star
SCOOBA – East Mississippi Community College will present a Music Reading Workshop for members of the community on Saturday, April 13. The session begins at 8:30 a.m. at the Orr Center for Christian Activity on EMCC’s Scooba campus.
Wendy Smith, director of EMCC’s Choral and Vocal Music Instruction Department, has offered the music reading workshop for several years.
“As a music instructor and church music director, I have come to realize that many song leaders and workers need some basic skills to go along with their willingness to help and their talents,” Smith said.
“Many of my teaching years were in small schools and churches that did not have much funding. I have learned to make a miracle from limited resources. This workshop is geared toward churches and schools whose volunteer leaders need fresh ideas and basic instruction. This is not an advanced music reading workshop. This is for song leaders with good voices, but limited music training.”
Smith will be assisted by EMCC accompanist Martha Blackwell, who also serves as choral music director at Central Academy in Macon.
The workshop will cover these areas:
• Beginning conducting patterns for leading hymns.
• Individual conducting lessons with an instructor and practice leading actual hymns in EMCC’s Chapel in the Pines.
• Lecture and activities covering the basics of music reading, notes and rhythms.
• Where to find low-cost music for small churches and schools.
• Tips for leading a children’s choir, including a list of resources and activities.
• The session ends with lunch in the F.R. Young Student Union and a performance by the EMCC Reflection Singers.
The cost is $10, which covers the workshop, light breakfast and lunch. Attendees can make reservations by phone or email and pay at the door as they arrive. To reserve a place, contact Wendy Smith at (662) 476-5004 or firstname.lastname@example.org.