Meridian Star

March 29, 2013

Arrests in made murder case

From staff reports
The Meridian Star

MERIDIAN —     Two men who authorities detained Tuesday during the investigation of Meridian's first murder of 2013 have been charged in connection with that case.

    Capt. Dean Harper, commander of the Meridian Police Department's Criminal Investigation Division, said Jacolby Newell, 22, and Torvoria McGlothin, 18, both of Meridian, have each been charged with armed robbery and capital murder.

    Harper said the bonds set for both men was placed at $500,000 but that no bond was issued for the capital murder charges. Both men are currently being held in the Lauderdale County Adult Detention Facility in Meridian.

    MPD officers were called to 1109 Grand Avenue around 9:30 a.m. Tuesday to a report of shots being fired. When officers arrived they found 37-year-old TeRandy Hampton dead from a gunshot wound to the head.

    Harper said a key factor in the quick arrests made in this case was the fact an eye witness who heard the shots immediately picked up the phone and called 911.

    "Though we can't publicly acknowledge them by name, we and the family of Mr. Hampton are grateful for them being alert and calling authorities," Harper said.

    "So many times we get to crime scenes and although there were 30 or 40 people in the area at the time of the incident, nobody saw a thing," Harper said. "It is frustrating for us and makes our job so much harder. This time, however, somebody was quick to do just the simplest thing which is to call us.

    "We are not asking people to jump up and chase criminals. Far from it. What we would like is for more people to do as this person did. Pay attention and when something suspicious occurs, call 911. It may save a life or, as in this case, lead to the quick arrest of those responsible."

    Harper said detectives took Newell into custody for questioning shortly after the incident. Members of the MPD's DART team took McGlothin into custody for questioning a couple of hours later.

    Harper said a search warrant was to be executed sometime Thursday to attempt to locate the firearm used in the fatal shooting.