Meridian Star

April 25, 2013

County authorities arrest two during wild night

By Brian Livingston /
The Meridian Star

Meridian —

Two people were arrested Tuesday night during what some Lauderdale County Sheriff's Department officials are calling a very strange night. 
LCSD Chief Dep. Ward Calhoun said Wednesday morning deputies were called at about 8:40 p.m. to Kelly's Trailer Park located on Hwy. 496 to a report of a missing child. Once deputies arrived on the scene, the strange sequence of events began to unravel in front of them.
Calhoun said in talking with the five-year-old girl's father, Anthony L. Tew, and a friend of Tew's, Robin D. Milstead, deputies determined the little girl had wandered off. Searchers with local volunteer fire departments and authorities with the Lauderdale County Emergency Management Agency were called in to begin combing the nearby area for the girl. But upon further questioning it was discovered the girl's grandmother had picked up the girl to spend the night at grandma's house, so the search was called off.
Deputies, however, uncovered that Tew, 30, and Milstead, 27, were in possession of marijuana. The two were taken into custody and charged with misdemeanor possession of marijuana. 
As the Tew and Milstead were being placed into custody, a mobile home in the park suddenly caught fire. Calhoun said the mobile home had been searched earlier by deputies looking for the little girl and they had determined no one had lived in the structure for several years and that there was no electricity connected to the trailer.
Calhoun said the volunteers who initially responded to the call out for a search party had to switch gears to fight the blaze. Calhoun said the cause of the suspicious fire is under investigation. 
Deputies then were told by a resident of the park a man was going around to various mobile homes in the park and exposing himself through windows. Deputies began a search for the suspect while volunteer firefighters battled the mysterious blaze. Calhoun said a person was located and being held for questioning in connection with the complaint of indecent exposure but that no charges had yet been filed. 
Finally, a pregnant woman who lives in the trailer park went into labor. Deputies went to assist the woman and called Metro Ambulance to the location so the woman could be taken to the hospital. There was no word Wednesday afternoon on the woman's, or baby's condition. 
Calhoun said all of these events occurred within the span of an hour and a half.