A wreath laying ceremony to commemorate the 80th anniversary of the death of Jimmie Rodgers will take place Sunday at 2 p.m. at Oak Grove Cemetery.
The public is invited to attend.
Rodgers, who was diagnosed with tuberculosis in 1927, died May 26, 1933 in New York City.
Rodgers passed away at the Taft Hotel just two days after completing his final music recording. His body was brought by train to his hometown of Meridian for burial at Oak Grove Cemetery in Bonita.
Each year, fans of the "Father of Country Music" gather at his cemetery to lay a wreath. The annual event is sponsored by The Jimmie Rodgers Foundation.
The event is the culmination of the Jimmie Rodgers festival that included events honoring the iconic musician.
- Local News
- Second shooting in two days
- Officials tout benefits of Boys and Girls Club building
- Man arrested in connection with 2013 shooting
- Local Mississippi Scholars recognized
- One man shot in incident
- Groundbreaking for new EMSH Dietary Building
- County seeks grant, city partnership for new community center
- 10-year old gunshot victim still critical
- Local Red Cross volunteers assist families
- Officials warn of missed jury duty scam
- More Local News Headlines