The Meridian Star
Preparations for an upcoming bike-a-thon were among highlights of the April meeting of the Lawrence Mississippi Homemaker Volunteers (MHV).
The athletic competition will be held during May at Newton City High School.
Also during the month, club member Paulette Tramill will attend the MHV State Convention at Mississippi State University. Tramill will take winning entries of the club's Cultural Arts Exhibit for judging on the state level. She also will take door prizes from each club, a silent auction gift and a Newton County table decoration for the awards banquet.
The April 18, 2013, business meeting was held at Newton Public Library, with three members and a guest in attendance.
After the minutes and treasurer's reports were presented and approved. Wardene Mason presented a devotional reading based on John: 6 titled, “Little Is First.”
The following project updates and club activities were provided:
• Paulette Tramill finished the Newton Theater Company sets for “Aladdin.”
• Paulette Tramill, Wardene Mason and Carolyn Robinson made holiday party favors for the VA Nursing Home.
• Warden Mason presented a reading orogram in April with Mayor David Carr. She also collected 12 bags of newspaper for the local animal shelter.
• Carolyn Robinson will make wheelchair totes for Blair E. Batson Hospital in May.
The program was "Financial Fitness Checklist," and included the following tips:
• Manage your expenses so they don’t exceed your income.
• Have a plan and purpose for investing.
• Spend money thinking of your future.
• Begin saving early.
The Educational Notes was the story of the blue ribbon.