A lot is going on with The Retired and Senior Volunteer Program of Meridian/Lauderdale County.
In addition to an increase in classes for seniors in the coming months, we are assisting other community programs and preparing for May's observance of Older Americans Month.
The following classes are offered at the RSVP office located at 721 Front St. Ext.:
• April 25, 10 a.m. – AARP Home Safety Class to educate us on the changes we can make in our homes to accommodate the changing needs of our senior population. Open to persons of all ages.
• April 26, 10 a.m. – Bob Glazar will give us tips on how to be more aware of our surroundings, and things we can do to protect ourselves in all situations.
• May 2, from noon-4:30 p.m. – AARP Safe Drivers Class to reduce the cost of auto insurance for seniors over 50. The cost of this class is $14, ($12 for AARP members). Please call our office to make a reservation as this class fills up fast.
• May 9, 1 p.m. – Information & Quality Healthcare will have a class to help improve diabetes care and reduce amputation rates for diabetes patients. This intervention class will have an impact on the overall health and encourage lifestyle changes that promote a healthier life style.
• May 10 – RSVP will host a tea party for ladies interested in volunteering in their community. Our volunteers will serve tea and cookies. Prizes will be awarded for hats worn to this old fashioned tea party.
Robert (Bob) Glazar is our RSVP Volunteer of the Month for April.
Bob has been involved with our RSVP program for 40 years in many different capacities. He is the former director of the Foster Grandparent’s Program of Meridian; past president of the Lauderdale County Council on Aging; former member of the Human Relations Commission for the city of Meridian; former founder, member and officer of the Interagency Council of Lauderdale County; member of the Mental Health Association in Lauderdale County; past president of the Friends of East Mississippi State Hospital; and former co-chair of the Volunteer Service Commission Board.
Bob has attended Church of the Mediator since 1978 and has served in several capacities. He will teach the AARP Driver’s Safety classes and personal safety classes at our office.