Special to The Star
The Meridian Star
Auditions for Meridian Little Theatre’s production of "Anything Goes" will be held Monday and Tuesday at 6:30 p.m. at the Highway 39 North playhouse.
This award-winning show with music and lyrics by Cole Porter tells the story of Billy Crocker, who stows away on an ocean liner bound from New York to London. He is in love with heiress Hope Harcourt, who is engaged to Lord Evelyn Oakleigh. Nightclub singer Reno Sweeney and Public Enemy #13 Moonface Martin aid Billy in his quest to win Hope.
More story details and musical numbers can be found online at meridianlittletheatre.com
The following roles to be cast are:
• Hope Harcourt – (age 21-32, soprano, supporting lead) – A wealthy and beautiful American heiress, object of Billy’s affection, but engaged to the stuffy Sir Evelyn Oakleigh. Sings and dances; two major songs.
• Reno Sweeney – (age 30-50, mezzo/alto, lead) – Evangelist-turned-nightclub-singer, strong musical comedy type, friends with Billy. Sings, dances and taps; seven major songs.
• Bonnie Latour – (age 21-32, mezzo/soprano, supporting lead) Moonface Martin’s attractive, but not-so-bright accomplice/girlfriend. Sings, dances and taps; two major songs.
• Mrs. Harcourt – (age 45-60, Alto, supporting role) – Hope’s mother concerned with social status and money and wants her to marry rich. Sings and may dance in groups.
• Chastity, Charity, Purity and Virtue – (any age, alto, soprano, mezzo) Reno Sweeney’s entourage of girls who are always at her beck and call. Sing and tap; backup singers.
• Chorus of passengers, families, debutantes, celebrities, sailors, etc.
• Billy Crocker – (Age 21-36, tenor, lead) Elisha’s kind, but inefficient general manager who is in love with Hope. Sings and dances; four major songs.
• Elisha J. Whitney – (age 45-65, supporting role) Ivy League Wall Street banker, Billy's boss. Extremely near-sighted and a drunk. Mostly acting, very little singing; sings with others in a group.
• Lord Evelyn Oakleigh – (age 30-50, baritone, supporting lead) Hope’s wealthy but stuffy and aristocratic British fiancé. Mostly acting, a little singing and dancing. One major duet.
• Moonface Martin (age 30-60, tenor, lead) A second-rate gangster wanted by the police; character actor. Sings and dances; two major songs, comic.
• The Bishop (age 45-65, tenor/baritone, supporting role) A bishop who is traveling on board. Sings with others in a group.
• The Captain (age 45-65, supporting role) Skipper of the ocean liner “America” A military man who is in charge of the S.S. American. Sings with others in a group.
• Purser – (age 28-42, supporting role) Employee of the ocean liner “America” The captain’s lackey. Sings with others in a group.
• Steward – (age 28-45, supporting role) A steward on the ship. Sings with others in a group.
• Ching – (age 20-55, supporting role) A Chinese convert and reformed gambler. Sings with others in a group.
• Ling – (age 20-55, supporting role) A Chinese convert and reformed gambler. Sings with others in a group.
• Reporter and Cameramen for the Globe American
Those auditioning for a lead or supporting role must come prepared to sing a song from the show. Musical Director David Benson will be the accompanist.
Participants will read from the script for the character they are auditioning for.
Show Choreographer Carol Merrill will conduct the dance auditions.
Stage Director is Ronnie Miller. Carey Smith is orchestra conductor and Scott Merrill is technical director.
For more information, call Meridian Little Theatre at (601) 482-6371 or online at meridianlittletheatre.com