Editor's note: School news is a schedule of upcoming events, programs and other activities on area school and college campuses.
Information for School News should be submitted to The Meridian Star by 5 p.m. on the Monday before publication. Information may be mailed to P.O. Box 1591, Meridian, MS 39301; faxed to (601) 485-1275; or e-mailed to email@example.com (photos should be in JPEG format).
Here's a look at upcoming programs and events at city and county public, private and faith-based schools:
• Through Friday – Oakland Heights Elementary Fall Book Fair
• Today – From 8:30 a.m.-11:30 a.m., Crestwood cafeteria. Third through fifth grade students at Crestwood will be encouraged to begin thinking about a future career as various community leaders, businesses, and professions introduce career options.
• Today – Magnolia Middle School First Nine Weeks Awards Program, 6 p.m., Magnolia Auditorium
• Thursday – Crestwood Elementary School Awards Day. Pre-K-2nd grades: from 8:30 a.m.-9:30 a.m.; 3rd-5th grades: from 9:30 a.m.-10:30 a.m. Crestwood Cafeteria
• Thursday – Poplar Springs Elementary Reading Fair Parent Workshop, from 12:15 p.m.-12:45 p.m. or from 6 p.m.-6:30 p.m., Poplar Springs Library
• Friday – Poplar Springs Elementary Pep Rally, 2:15 p.m., Poplar Springs Bus parking lot. MHS Cheerleaders and football players will lead Poplar Springs in cheering on The Wildcats. The MHS students will encourage students to exhibit Panda Power: Pride, Ownership, Work, Effort and Respect.
• Oct. 25 – Annual Local Education Agency (LEA) Head Start Meeting,10 a.m., MPSD Parent Resource Center, 4000 10th St., Trailer A
Here's a look at upcoming programs and events at Meridian Community College. For more information (FMI), call (601) 482-7445, unless otherwise noted:
• Today – Classes Term II classes begin. FMI: (601)483-8241.
• Friday – Continuing Education class: Forklift Training, from 8 a.m.-5 p.m., Workforce Development Center. FMI: (601) 484-8856.
• Friday-Saturday – Workforce Development Class: ICD-10 Training, from 8 a.m.- 5 p.m., Workforce Development Center.
• Oct. 20 – Continuing Education class: ServSafe Food Seminar, from 8 a.m.-5 p.m., Webb Hall.
• Oct. 20 – Continuing Education class: ACT Workshop Review, 8:30 a.m., Webb Hall.