The Meridian Star
Editor's note: School news is a schedule of upcoming events, programs and other activities on area school and college campuses.
Information for School News should be submitted to The Meridian Star by 5 p.m. on the Monday before publication. Information may be mailed to P.O. Box 1591, Meridian, MS 39301; faxed to (601) 485-1275; or e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org (photos should be in JPEG format).
Here's a look at upcoming programs and events at city and county public, private and faith-based schools:
• Today – Northwest Middle School STAR Skating Party, from 12:30 p.m.- 2:30 p.m., Skate Odyssey. Four STAR students have A's and B's, no office referrals, and no un-excused absences.
• Today – Poplar Springs Elementary STAR School Celebration
Award Ceremony. Poplar Springs will host awards ceremonies for the fourth and fifth grade students based their performance on the 2012 MCT2. The students will receive gold, silver, and bronze medals.
Fifth Grade Awards – 8:30 a.m., auditorium
Fourth Grade Awards – 9:15 a.m., auditorium
All students will also attend a STAR school cookout held during regular lunch times. Each class will picnic on campus. and all classes will have a special STAR dessert furnished by the homeroom parents.
• Thursday – Poplar Springs Elementary fourth grade students presentation, "Mississippi: My Home," 10:30 a.m., school auditorium.
Students will share what they have learned about Mississippi through their Mississippi Studies class using music, drama, dance and visual art.
• Thursday – Annual Local Education Agency (LEA) HeadStart Meeting,10 a.m., MPSD Parent Resource Center, 4000 10th St., Trailer A
• Thursday – Meridian High School SATP Parent Rally and Information Fair, from 5:30 p.m.-6:30 p.m., R.D. Harris (Ninth Grade) Building Foyer. Information provided on the Subject Area Testing Program (state test for high school).
• Friday – Northwest Middle School STAR Downtown Tour and Lunch, from 9 a.m.-1 p.m., downtown Meridian. Five NMS STAR students with all A's, no unexcused absences and no office referrals will be treated to ride on the trolley from Northwest to downtown Meridian for a tour of city hall, visit with the mayor, tour of the Meridian Museum of Art and a special lunch.
Here's a look at upcoming programs and events at Meridian Community College. For more information (FMI), call (601) 482-7445, unless otherwise noted:
• Thursday – Parenting Seminar, “ADHD: Driven to Distraction,” 5:30 p.m.
• Thursday – Allied Health and Nursing Open House, from 8 a.m.-2:30 p.m. For more information: Krystal Powe, (601) 484-8758.
• Thursday – Continuing Education: Antiques at Embellish, 6 p.m., Webb Hall.
• Thursday – Continuing Education: Furniture Painting with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint, from 4 p.m.-8 p.m., Webb Hall.
• Oct. 27 – ACT testing, 8 a.m., Ivy Hall. FMI: Mark Gunn, (601) 484-8652.
• Oct. 27 – Continuing Education: Student Defensive Driving, from 8 a.m.-5 p.m., MCC Workforce Development Center.
Here's a look at upcoming programs and events at East Central Community College:
• Nov. 5 – Preregistration for returning campus and online students – Scooba and Golden Triangle campuses. The early registration period for current students ends Nov. 9.
A second early registration period for all students, including current and incoming students, will open Nov. 12 and run through Dec. 7.
For more information, a registration guide is available online at eastms.edu, or campus registrars can be reached at (662) 243-1920 at the Golden Triangle campus or (662) 476-5040.