Editor's note: School news is a schedule of upcoming events, programs and other activities on area school and college campuses.
Information for School News should be submitted to The Meridian Star by 5 p.m. on the Monday before publication. Information may be mailed to P.O. Box 1591, Meridian, MS 39301; faxed to (601) 485-1275; or e-mailed to email@example.com (photos should be in JPEG format).
Here's a look at upcoming programs and events at city and county public, private and faith-based schools:
• Today – Northwest Middle School STAR Skating Party, from 12:30 p.m.- 2:30 p.m., Skate Odyssey. Four STAR students have A's and B's, no office referrals, and no un-excused absences.
• Today – Poplar Springs Elementary STAR School Celebration
Award Ceremony. Poplar Springs will host awards ceremonies for the fourth and fifth grade students based their performance on the 2012 MCT2. The students will receive gold, silver, and bronze medals.
Fifth Grade Awards – 8:30 a.m., auditorium
Fourth Grade Awards – 9:15 a.m., auditorium
All students will also attend a STAR school cookout held during regular lunch times. Each class will picnic on campus. and all classes will have a special STAR dessert furnished by the homeroom parents.
• Thursday – Poplar Springs Elementary fourth grade students presentation, "Mississippi: My Home," 10:30 a.m., school auditorium.
Students will share what they have learned about Mississippi through their Mississippi Studies class using music, drama, dance and visual art.
• Thursday – Annual Local Education Agency (LEA) HeadStart Meeting,10 a.m., MPSD Parent Resource Center, 4000 10th St., Trailer A
• Thursday – Meridian High School SATP Parent Rally and Information Fair, from 5:30 p.m.-6:30 p.m., R.D. Harris (Ninth Grade) Building Foyer. Information provided on the Subject Area Testing Program (state test for high school).
• Friday – Northwest Middle School STAR Downtown Tour and Lunch, from 9 a.m.-1 p.m., downtown Meridian. Five NMS STAR students with all A's, no unexcused absences and no office referrals will be treated to ride on the trolley from Northwest to downtown Meridian for a tour of city hall, visit with the mayor, tour of the Meridian Museum of Art and a special lunch.