Special to The Star
The Meridian Star
East Central Community College’s student newspaper, The Tom-Tom, was among the top student newspapers in the state recognized during the 2013 O.C. McDavid Journalism Conference held at the Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame in Jackson.
East Central students earned 18 awards in the Mississippi Press Association’s Better Newspaper Contest in the Community and Junior College Division, including second place in the general excellence award, the top award granted for student newspapers in the community college division for the state.
The Tom-Tom also received two first place, seven additional second place, seven third place and two honorable mention awards in the competition. In the Better Newspaper Competition, members of The Tom-Tom staff earned the following awards:
• A first place finish for May 2012 graduate Rachel Ramirez of Forest, Best General Interest Column, and third place award, Best Sports Feature;
• A first place award for Eliud “Lulu” Alvarez of Forest, Best Sports Photo;
• Sophomore Jessica Barnett of Forest was recognized with a second place award for Spot or Investigative Package;
• A second place award for Sophomore Claire Griffin of Decatur, Best Cartoon;
• Freshman Madison Herrington of Union was recognized with a second place award for Best Sports Feature;
• A second place award for sophomore and The Tom-Tom editor Addreonna Seger of Newton, General Interest Column, and third place award, Best Editorial;
• Freshman Will Stokes of Philadelphia was recognized with a third place award for General Interest Column;
• A third place award for freshman Candice Stewart of Morton, Best Feature Photograph;
• May 2012 graduate Ashley Moore of Carthage was recognized with two third place awards for Best General News Story and Best Feature Story;
• An honorable mention award for May 2012 graduate Meghan McIntosh of Carthage, Best Feature Photograph.
• Claire Tadlock of Decatur received an honorable mention award for Best Feature Photograph; and
• The Tom-Tom staff also received two additional second place honors for Best Design and Best Front Page and a third place honor for Best Miscellaneous Advertisement.
The Tom-Tom is a student-led newspaper representative of the student body of East Central Community College in Decatur. The staff is led by Seger, editor; and Holli Nutt of Morton, design editor. ECCC Publications Coordinator Gennie Phillips of Forest serves as adviser.