The Meridian Star
Editor's note: School news is a schedule of upcoming events, programs and other activities on area school and college campuses.
Information for School News should be submitted to The Meridian Star by 5 p.m. on the Monday before publication. Information may be mailed to P.O. Box 1591, Meridian, MS 39301; faxed to (601) 485-1275; or e-mailed to email@example.com (photos should be in JPEG format).
Here's a look at upcoming programs and events at Meridian's city, county, private and faith-based schools:
• Thursday-Friday – Ross Collins DECA Students compete in state DECA Competition, Jackson
• Thursday – Carver Middle School Family Literacy Night
• Thursday – Meridian High School College Goal Sunday, from 9 a.m.-1 p.m., MHS Computer Lab. Event is to help students and families complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), and assist parents and students in completing the MTAG and Tuition Guarantee Forms. Refreshments will be served to parent that are coming during lunch.
• Friday –T.J. Harris Elementary School Black History Program, 9 a.m.
• Friday – Poplar Springs Elementary School Storyteller Terrance Roberts. Roberts will work with students PreK-5th grade integrating storytelling with literacy and social studies.
Here's a look at upcoming programs and events at Meridian Community College. For more information, call (601) 482-7445 unless otherwise noted:
• Thursday, Feb. 28 and March 7 – Continuing Education: Mental Health First Aid, from 5:30 p.m.-8:30 p.m.
• Thursday and Feb. 28 – Continuing Education: EBay, from 5:30-7:30 p.m.
• Thursday– Continuing Education: Furniture Painting with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint, 4:30 p.m.
• Feb. 22 – Workforce Development class, Fork Lift Training, from 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Workforce Development Center.
• Feb. 26 – Continuing Education: Stopping More Than the Pain: The Perils of Prescription Drug Abuse, from 5:30 p.m.-7:30 p.m.
• Feb. 28 – MCC Allied Health and Nursing Job Fair, from 9 a.m.-noon, Graham Gymnasium. FMI: Lisa Jenkins, (601) 484-8684.
• Feb. 28 – Continuing Education: Homeschooling, 5 p.m.
Here's a look at upcoming programs and events at area community colleges and universities:
• Feb. 27 – East Central Community College: Black History Month Program, 7 p.m., Vickers Fine Arts Center auditorium on the Decatur campus.
The Rev. Marcus Mann will serve as guest speaker. ECCC’s Gospel Choir will provide special music.
For more information, contact Kathy Sanders at (601) 635-6215 or call toll free, (877) 462-3222, ext. 215. Her e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org
• March 7 – 11th Annual Business, Education and Healthcare Expo, from 9:30 a.m.-11a.m., Brackeen-Wood Physical Education Building, East Central Community College in Decatur.
For more information, Wayne Eason at ECCC, (601) 635-2111 or call toll free, (877) 462-3222, ext. 211. The e-mail address is email@example.com.
• March 27-28 – "Senior Days," East Central Community College. Open to area high school seniors, activities begin with registration in Huff Auditorium at 9 a.m. and end with a complimentary lunch at noon.
All campus clubs and organizations will have information booths set up in the Brackeen-Wood Physical Education Building and advisors from academic, career, technical and healthcare programs will be available.
For more information, contact the Office of Student Services at (601)635-6205, or toll free (877) 462-3222, ext. 205. The e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org