Editor's note: School news is a schedule of upcoming events, programs and other activities on area school and college campuses.
Information for School News should be submitted to The Meridian Star by 5 p.m. on the Monday before publication. Information may be mailed to P.O. Box 1591, Meridian, MS 39301; faxed to (601) 485-1275; or e-mailed to email@example.com (photos should be in JPEG format).
Here's a look at upcoming programs and events at Meridian's city, county, private and faith-based schools:
• Thursday-Friday – Ross Collins DECA Students compete in state DECA Competition, Jackson
• Thursday – Carver Middle School Family Literacy Night
• Thursday – Meridian High School College Goal Sunday, from 9 a.m.-1 p.m., MHS Computer Lab. Event is to help students and families complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), and assist parents and students in completing the MTAG and Tuition Guarantee Forms. Refreshments will be served to parent that are coming during lunch.
• Friday –T.J. Harris Elementary School Black History Program, 9 a.m.
• Friday – Poplar Springs Elementary School Storyteller Terrance Roberts. Roberts will work with students PreK-5th grade integrating storytelling with literacy and social studies.
Here's a look at upcoming programs and events at Meridian Community College. For more information, call (601) 482-7445 unless otherwise noted:
• Thursday, Feb. 28 and March 7 – Continuing Education: Mental Health First Aid, from 5:30 p.m.-8:30 p.m.
• Thursday and Feb. 28 – Continuing Education: EBay, from 5:30-7:30 p.m.
• Thursday– Continuing Education: Furniture Painting with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint, 4:30 p.m.
• Feb. 22 – Workforce Development class, Fork Lift Training, from 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Workforce Development Center.
• Feb. 26 – Continuing Education: Stopping More Than the Pain: The Perils of Prescription Drug Abuse, from 5:30 p.m.-7:30 p.m.
• Feb. 28 – MCC Allied Health and Nursing Job Fair, from 9 a.m.-noon, Graham Gymnasium. FMI: Lisa Jenkins, (601) 484-8684.
• Feb. 28 – Continuing Education: Homeschooling, 5 p.m.