Special to The Star
The Meridian Star
Neshoba Central's NJROTC has qualified for the Navy Nationals Academic, Athletic and Drill Championships for the third consecutive year and the fourth time in the last five years.
The unit competed at Ole Miss in the Area 8 Championship with 10 schools in March and brought home the overall second place trophy, earning the bid to compete in the national championships. Team trophies included:
• Third place in Academics: Peyton Williamson, team captain
• Second place in Armed Basic Drill: commanded by Ryan Gardner
• Second place in Unarmed Exhibition: commanded by Breonna Foster
• Second place in Personnel Inspection: commanded by Thomas Fincher
• First place in Color Guard Drill: commanded by Thomas Fincher
• Individual medal winner: second place overall academics, Thomas Farmer
Nationally, 624 schools have Navy JROTC units; only 25 units make it to national competition each year. Traditionally held at Naval Air Station Pensacola, Fla., the competition has been changed to a virtual competition this year as a result of the Sequestration to the Federal Budget.
Neshoba Central's unit had a monitor assigned from the NJROTC unit at Pearl High School, who observed the academic, athletic and drill competition and verified all events and scoring. The video will be mailed to Sports Network International, which is responsible for judging and scoring. The results will be published later this month.