Editor's note: School news is a schedule of upcoming events, programs and other activities on area school and college campuses.
Information for School News should be submitted to The Meridian Star by 5 p.m. on the Monday before publication. Information may be mailed to P.O. Box 1591, Meridian, MS 39301; faxed to (601) 485-1275; or e-mailed to email@example.com (photos should be in JPEG format).
Here's a look at upcoming programs and events at Meridian's city, county, private and faith-based schools:
• MCT2 Testing. Students in grades 3-8 will take the state test in language arts and math.
• MHS Freshman Day
• Ross Collins Career and Technical Center Scholars Luncheon Wednesday, from 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m., MCC Workforce Training Center
• MPSD Retirement Reception, from 3:30 p.m.-5:30 p.m., Multi-Purpose Building (MHS Campus)
• Northwest Middle School Field Day, from 9 a.m.-2:30 p.m., football practice field
• Poplar Springs Elementary Fifth Grade Awards Day, 8:30 a.m., auditorium; picnic to follow.
• Oakland Heights Elementary fifth grade trip to Washington, D.C. Students and chaperones will depart at 7 p.m.; they will return May 23.
• Crestwood Elementary Field Day and Talent Show, 8:15 a.m.
• Oakland Heights Elementary Third Grade Awards Day
• Poplar Springs Elementary Third and Fourth Grades Awards Day, 9 a.m., auditorium
• T.J. Harris Elementary Funshine Day, from 9 a.m.-2 p.m.
• Carver Middle Awards Program, 6 p.m., Carver Gym
• Crestwood Elementary Awards Day: from 8:30 a.m.-9:30 a.m., Pre-K-second grades; from 9:30 a.m.-10:30 a.m., third-fifth grades
• Magnolia Middle Eighth Grade Promotional Program, 6 p.m., auditorium
• Northwest Middle Eighth Grade Field Trip to Mississippi State University
• Parkview Elementary Fifth Grade Awards Program, 9 a.m., auditorium
• West Hills Elementary May Festival, from 8:30 a.m.-2 p.m. Open to the community.
Here's a look at upcoming programs and events at Meridian Community College:
• Digital Photography Class, from 5:30-7:30 p.m., Webb Hall. FMI: (601) 482-7445.
• Forklift Training, from 8 a.m.-5 p.m., Workforce Training Center. FMI: Lynne Thrailkill, (601) 481-1300.
May 21-June 13
• Call Center Customer Service Class, Evening Class, from 5 p.m.-8 p.m., Workforce Training Center. FMI: Lynne Thrailkill, (601) 481-1300.
- Two new memorial scholarships established at East Central Community College
- Excellence in education: Wednesday, Dec. 11, 2013
- Annual report card shows high marks for ECCC in Student Success/Retention
- POETRY CONTEST PARTICIPANTS
- PTK AND SCOUTS TOGETHER
- Excellence in education: Wednesday, Nov. 20, 2013
- HANDS ON LEARNING
- UWA receives $100k Delta Regional Authority Grant
- ECCC NATIVE AMERICAN CLUB
- Philippines native receives Riley Next Step Scholarship at MSU-Meridian
- More Education Headlines