Editor's note: School news is a schedule of upcoming events, programs and other activities on area school and college campuses.
Information for School News should be submitted to The Meridian Star by 5 p.m. on the Monday before publication. Information may be mailed to P.O. Box 1591, Meridian, MS 39301; faxed to (601) 485-1275; or e-mailed to email@example.com (photos should be in JPEG format).
Here's a look at upcoming programs and events at Meridian's city, county, private and faith-based schools:
• T.J. Harris Gifted Gala.
• Northwest Middle Beauty and Beau Pageant, 7 p.m., MHS Auditorium
• Oakland Heights Elementary Pre-K Students Field Trip, from 8:45 a.m.-noon, MCC McCain Theatre. Pre-K students will see live production of "Peter Pan."
• Poplar Springs Elementary Field Day. PK-2nd grades, from 8:30 a.m.-11 a.m.; third-fifth grades, from noon-2:30 p.m., PE Field. Makeup day (in case of rain) is April 26.
• T.J. Harris Elementary MCT2 Test Prep, 5:30 p.m., Upper Campus,
• Northwest Middle Eighth Grade Prom, from 7 p.m.-9 p.m., Northwest Gym. Eighth Grade students only
• Oakland Heights Elementary Gifted Gala
• Oakland Heights Elementary Kindergarten Trip to Jackson Zoo
• Parkview Elementary Hawaiian Luau. Good Behavior Activity for K-fifth Grades
• West Hills Elementary Fifth Grade Owl Mania. A day for students to rotate through centers and play fun MCT2 games to prepare for the state test.
• Magnolia Middle Spring Fling, from 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
• West Hills Elementary Third Grade Owl Mania
• Crestwood Elementary Gifted Gala
• Magnolia Middle Gifted Gala
Here's a look at upcoming programs and events at Meridian Community College. For more information, call (601) 482-7445, unless otherwise noted:
• Awards Night, 6 p.m., McCain Theater. FMI: Adrian Cross, (601) 481-1340.
Here's a look at upcoming programs and events at East Central Community College, Decatur:
• Optional open clinics for 2013 Cheerleading Squad, from 6 p.m.-8 p.m., South Campus Gymnasium. FMI: ECCC Cheer sponsor Pam McKnight, (601) 507-9790.
• “Night of Jazz,” 7 p.m., Huff Auditorium.
• Outdoor concert of movie scores and pop music performed by the Concert Band, 3:30 p.m., the Pavilion next to the walking track on North Campus. Those attending encouraged to bring blankets, lawn chairs. FMI: Hunter Corhern, (601) 635-6123 or call toll free, (877) 462-3222, ext. 123.
• The Collegians spring concert, 8 p.m., in Huff Auditorium. FMI: (601) 635-6225