Special to The Star
DECATUR – Astronaut Fred Haise, who served as the lunar module pilot during the ill-fated Apollo 13 space mission in 1970 and is portrayed by Bill Paxton in the blockbuster film Apollo 13, will speak at East Central Community College in Decatur on Feb. 25.
Activities begin at 6 p.m. in Vickers Fine Arts Building Auditorium. There is no charge for admission and the event is open to the public. However, due to limited space, seating will be on a first-come, first-served basis.
ECCC President Dr. Billy Stewart said, “In his presentation titled 'Failure is Not an Option,' Mr. Haise will focus on the importance of education, training, innovation, leadership, teamwork, communication, and individual responsibility as the keys to success in any endeavor. His speech will address three major events in his life: Apollo 13, a near-fatal plane crash in 1973, and his participation in the development of the Space Shuttle that included commanding five test flights of the Space Shuttle Enterprise during the 1977 Approach and Landing Tests.”
After his remarks, Haise will engage in a question-and-answer session in the auditorium.
Following his' presentation in Vickers Fine Arts Auditorium, the college will host a reception in Mabry Memorial Cafeteria where attendees will have an opportunity to meet and speak to Haise.
For more information, contact Dr. Stacey Hollingsworth, executive director for Foundation and Alumni Relations, at (601) 635-6327 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This free event is made possible through the financial support of the East Central Community College Foundation and the Oliphant-Martin Faculty Excellence Endowment.
Special to The Star
- MCC HEADWAE recipients honored by state legislators
- Excellence in education: Wednesday, Feb. 26, 2014
- COMPETES AT STATE DECA
- UWA to host Penn State researcher for annual symposium
- Poplar Springs students selected for statewide choir
- EMBDC announces Fall 2013 Head of the Class
- ECCC to host Smthsonian Exhibit on “The Way We Worked”
- ECCC FELLOWSHIP OF CHRISTIAN ATHLETES
- ECCC, MUW announce partnership in culinary arts
- School News: Wednesday, Feb. 5, 2014
- More Education Headlines