Editor's note: School news is a schedule of upcoming events, programs and other activities on area school and college campuses.
Information for School News should be submitted to The Meridian Star by 5 p.m. on the Monday before publication. Information may be mailed to P.O. Box 1591, Meridian, MS 39301; faxed to (601) 485-1275; or e-mailed to email@example.com (photos should be in JPEG format).
Here's a look at upcoming programs and events at city and county public, private and faith-based schools:
• Meridian High School's Annual "Feet on the Street" Campaign, begins at 8:30 a.m., Broadmoor neighborhood.
Here's a look at upcoming programs and events at Meridian Community College. For more information, call (601) 482-7445, unless otherwise noted:
• EMT Basic Refresher Course, from 5 p.m.-9 p.m., Workforce Development.
Today and Friday
• Soccer Camp, from 8 a.m.-noon, MCC soccer field. FMI: Coach Alex George, 601- 484-8697.
• Tuberculosis (TB) certification workshop, from 8 a.m.-4 p.m., Workforce Development.
• Back to School with MCC event, from 10 a.m.-3 p.m., Multi-Purpose Center. FMI: Adrian Cross, (601) 483-8241.
Here's a look at upcoming programs and events at East Central Community College in Decatur (unless otherwise noted):
• Summer 2013 GED Graduation, 7 p.m., Huff Auditorium.
• EC Day at the Neshoba County Fair. Activities begin at 1 p.m. at Founders’ Square Pavilion and features performances by the Collegians, Ac’cents Show Choir, Warrior Cheerleaders and the Centralettes, the dance line for the Wall O’ Sound Marching Band.
Signed copies of “The East Central I Knew: A History of East Central Community College,” compiled by retired EC English instructor Ovid Vickers, will be available for purchase during the performances. Cost is $26.70, which includes sales tax.
EC representatives will be available throughout the day at the College’s Display Booth in Exhibit Hall to provide information on the various academic, health-related, technical, career and other opportunities available on the Decatur campus and at off-campus locations.
Registration is from 8 a.m.-1 p.m. Prospective students should have on file in the Office of Admissions a completed ECCC Application for Admission (www.eccc.edu); ACT or COMPASS scores, which will be used for placement in English and mathematics courses; and high school/college transcripts. Transfer students must have all college transcripts on file before they can register.
During registration/orientation, students will complete their fall class schedules, have photos made for identification badges and the college yearbook, apply for a parking decal (must have tag number), and complete the online orientation.
Students who have not taken either the ACT or COMPASS test should be prepared to take it at 8:30 a.m. on the day of registration. The cost is $20.
A complimentary meal will be served from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. in Mabry Memorial Cafeteria for students and parents.
Fall classes begin Aug. 14.
For more information, contact Student Services at (601) 635-6205. The e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org