The Meridian Star
Editor's note: School news is a schedule of upcoming events, programs and other activities on area school and college campuses.
Information for School News should be submitted to The Meridian Star by 5 p.m. on the Monday before publication. Information may be mailed to P.O. Box 1591, Meridian, MS 39301; faxed to (601) 485-1275; or e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org (photos should be in JPEG format).
Here's a look at upcoming programs and events at Meridian's city, county, private and faith-based schools:
• Thursday – Northwest Middle School Open House for Fifth Grade Parents, 5:30 p.m., auditorium
• Thursday – Carver Middle School Valentine’s Dance, from 6 p.m.-8 p.m., cafeteria. Students must have a minimum of 25 AR points and NO office referrals.
• Friday – Poplar Springs Elementary School Third Grade Program, 10:30 a.m., auditorium. Third grade students will present Arts Integrated program celebrating the birthday of Meridian as a culminating project for their study of Meridian.
• Friday – Northwest Middle School PBIS event for five STAR Students. Students will be treated to lunch at Dickey’s BBQ and shopping for all A’s, no discipline referrals, and perfect attendance.
• Friday – Northwest Middle School Valentine’s Dance
Friday, from 6 p.m.-8:30 p.m., gymnasium
• Saturday – Magnolia Middle School Choir Performs at Freedom ‘64, 6 p.m., Temple Theater
• Feb. 11 – Northwest Middle School Arts Integrated Lesson. Traci James-Wade will present a lesson that focuses on the dances of the Harlem Renaissance.
• Feb. 11 – Tour of Northwest Middle School for Poplar Springs fifth grade students, 8:30 a.m.
• Feb. 12 – Poplar Springs Elementary School kindergarten and first grades trip to MSU Riley Center, 9:30 a.m. Students will attend production of "Clifford, the Big Red Dog."
• Feb. 12 – Parent/Teacher Conferences and Early Dismissal. Elementary, 12:40 p.m.; secondary,1:10 p.m. Parent and Teacher conferences begin immediately after dismissal and will conclude at 6 p.m.
• Feb. 12 – Northwest Middle School Chorus Attends District Festival in Hattiesburg.
• Feb. 13 – T.J. Harris Elementary School Valentine’s Dance, 5 p.m.-7 p.m., Harris Upper Gym
• Feb. 14 – Northwest Middle School Special Olympics Basketball Skills, Frank Cochran Center. Students will celebrate afterwards at Western Sizzlin.
• Feb. 15 – Magnolia Middle School Valentine’s Dance, from 6 p.m.-8 p.m., gym
• Feb. 15 – Tour of Northwest Middle School for West Hills fifth grade students, 1:30 p.m.
• Feb. 19 – District Science Fair (grades 6-12), Starkville