The Meridian Star
Editor's note: School news is a schedule of upcoming events, programs and other activities on area school and college campuses.
Information for School News should be submitted to The Meridian Star by 5 p.m. on the Monday before publication. Information may be mailed to P.O. Box 1591, Meridian, MS 39301; faxed to (601) 485-1275; or e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org (photos should be in JPEG format).
Here's a look at upcoming programs and events at city and county public, private and faith-based schools:
Open House will be held at schools in the Meridian Public School District. This is a time when parents and students can meet teachers, locate classrooms, drop off school supplies or ask questions. The scheduled dates are:
• Oakland Heights Elementary School, from 2 p.m.-5 p.m.
• Crestwood Elementary School, from 2 -4 p.m.
• Harris Lower Elementary School, from 2:30 p.m.-4 p.m.
• Harris Upper Elementary School, from 2 p.m.-3:30 p.m.
• Magnolia Middle School, from 2 p.m.-4 p.m.
• Meridian High School, from 2 p.m-5 p.m.
• West Hills Elementary School, from 2 p.m.-5 p.m.
• Parkview Elementary School, from 2 p.m.-4 p.m.
• Poplar Springs Elementary School, from 4 p.m.-6 p.m.
• Carver Middle School, 6 p.m. (Gym)
• Northwest Middle School, 6 p.m. (Auditorium)
Here's a look at upcoming programs and events at Meridian Community College. For more information, call (601) 482-7445, unless otherwise noted:
• EMT Basic Refresher Course, from 5 p.m.-9 p.m., Workforce Development.
Here's a look at upcoming programs and events at East Central Community College in Decatur (unless otherwise noted):
Registration is from 8 a.m.-1 p.m. Prospective students should have on file in the Office of Admissions a completed ECCC Application for Admission (www.eccc.edu); ACT or COMPASS scores, which will be used for placement in English and mathematics courses; and high school/college transcripts. Transfer students must have all college transcripts on file before they can register.
During registration/orientation, students will complete their fall class schedules, have photos made for identification badges and the college yearbook, apply for a parking decal (must have tag number), and complete the online orientation.
Students who have not taken either the ACT or COMPASS test should be prepared to take it at 8:30 a.m. on the day of registration. The cost is $20.
A complimentary meal will be served from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. in Mabry Memorial Cafeteria for students and parents.
Fall classes begin Aug. 14.
For more information, contact Student Services at (601) 635-6205. The e-mail address is email@example.com