The Meridian Star
Editor's note: School news is a schedule of upcoming events, programs and other activities on area school and college campuses.
Information for School News should be submitted to The Meridian Star by 5 p.m. on the Monday before publication. Information may be mailed to P.O. Box 1591, Meridian, MS 39301; faxed to (601) 485-1275; or e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org (photos should be in JPEG format).
Here's a look at upcoming programs and events at Meridian's city, county, private and faith-based schools:
• Oakland Heights Elementary (fifth graders) visits Jackson Zoo.
• Carver Middle Spring Pictures
Today and Thursday
• Poplar Springs Elementary Scholastic Book Fair, PSE Library. Hard and soft bound books available for purchase; benefits PSE classroom libraries.
• Carver Middle PTO meeting featuring the Spring Band and Chorus concerts, 6 p.m., Carver Gym
• Northwest Middle Spring Band Concert, 6 p.m., Northwest Auditorium. Sixth-eighth grade bands will perform.
• T.J. Harris Elementary AR Club Cupcake Celebration, 2 p.m., library
• Poplar Springs Elementary Fourth Grade Math/Language Arts Olympics
• MHS Concert Choir Potluck Dinner and Concert Fundraiser, Meridian High School. Potluck, 5:30 p.m. (Tickets are $5); concert, 7 p.m. Donations will be taken at the door)
• Poplar Springs Elementary Be Your Best Self Program, 10:15 a.m. and 11:15 a.m., Poplar Springs Auditorium. Mackenzie Ross, 2013 Mississippi Distinguished Young Woman, will talk to fourth and fifth grade students about setting and achieving goals, her passion for music as well as the component of the national "Be Your Best Self" program.
T.J. Harris Elementary Gifted Gala
Here's a look at upcoming programs and events at Meridian Community College. For more information, call (601) 482-7445, unless otherwise noted:
• Freshmen Honors Orientation, 12:30 p.m., Dulaney Room, Webb Hall. FMI: (601) 481-1357.
• Continuing Education: Microsoft Outlook, 9 a.m., Webb Hall.
• Literary Review and Poetry Month Celebration, 2 p.m., Casteel Gallery, Todd Library. FMI: (601) 484-8806.
• Continuing Education: Art Made Easely, 5:30 p.m., Webb Hall.
• Continuing Education: Forklift Training, 8 a.m. Workforce Development Center.
Here's a look at upcoming programs and events at East Central Community College, Decatur:
• “Night of Percussion,” 7 p.m. Huff Auditorium.
• East Central Community College Concert Choir's annual spring campus concert, 7 p.m. Vickers Fine Arts Center Auditorium. FMI:(601) 635-6225.