Editor's note: School news is a schedule of upcoming events, programs and other activities on area school and college campuses.
Information for School News should be submitted to The Meridian Star by 5 p.m. on the Monday before publication. Information may be mailed to P.O. Box 1591, Meridian, MS 39301; faxed to (601) 485-1275; or e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org (photos should be in JPEG format).
Here's a look at upcoming events and city and county public, private and faith-based schools:
• Thursday – Meridian High School Parent Power Hour and PTO Meeting, 5:30 p.m., MHS Auditorium. New officers will be elected to serve for the 2012-13 school year. The meeting will also include a “Parent Power Hour” that will be a grade level meeting hosted by counselors to provide parents information to make sure their student is on track for graduation.
• Thursday – Annual Title I Parent Meeting for Newton County Elementary School, 6 p.m., NCES cafeteria. An optional time for this event is Friday at 9 a.m. in the NCES Conference Room.
• Thursday – Carver Middle PTO/Title I Meeting, 6 p.m.
• Sept. 4 – Northwest Middle PTO/Title I Meeting, 5:30 p.m.
• Sept. 6 – Northwest Middle Science Fair Parent Night, from 5 p.m.-6 p.m., Angela Hoover’s Room (512). Informative meeting for parents about the science fair and how they can help their student prepare.
• Sept. 10 – Carver Middle Family Science Fair Workshop, 6 p.m.
• Sept. 11 – Early dismissal for all Meridian Public School District schools: elementary dismissal,12:40 p.m.; secondary dismissal, 1:10 p.m.
• Sept. 11 – Parent/Teacher Conferences for all Meridian Public School District schools, from 2 p.m.-6 p.m.
• Sept. 15 – Babysitter Certification Class for Teens, from 8 a.m.-2 p.m.,
Parent Resource Center, 4000 10th St., Trailer A. Course is taught by the Red Cross and teaches students how to care for children and infants, as well as how to be good leaders and role models. Students also learn decision making, problem solving, safety, how to handle emergencies (injuries, illnesses and accidents) and resume writing and job interview skills. Open to teens 13 and older. Cost: $85.