The Meridian Star
Editor's note: School news is a schedule of upcoming events, programs and other activities on area school and college campuses.
Information for School News should be submitted to The Meridian Star by 5 p.m. on the Monday before publication. Information may be mailed to P.O. Box 1591, Meridian, MS 39301; faxed to (601) 485-1275; or e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org (photos should be in JPEG format).
Here's a look at upcoming programs and events at Meridian Public Schools:
• Today – T.J. Harris Elementary Awards Day (Lower Campus), Lower Campus Cafeteria. Times – Pre-K: from 9 a.m.-9:45 a.m.; kindergarten: from 9:45 a.m.-10:30 a.m.; First grade: from 12:30 p.m.-1:30 p.m.; Second grade: from 1:35-2:45 p.m.
• Thursday – Crestwood Elementary Awards Day, Cafeteria. Times – Pre-K-Second grades: from 8:30 a.m.-9:30 a.m.; Third-Fifth grades, from 9:30 a.m.-10:30 a.m.
• Thursday – T.J. Harris Elementary Accelerated Reader Club Celebration, 2 p.m., library.
• Friday – Oakland Heights Elementary Students attend "Jack and the Beanstalk" presentation, Meridian Little Theatre
• Friday – Poplar Springs Elementary "Watersheds and Me: ABC," from 8:30 a.m.-11:30 a.m. Visiting artists Kathryn Lewis and Althea Jerome will teach arts integrated model lessons to all third grade classes.
• Friday – T.J. Harris Elementary Awards Day (Upper Campus), gymnasium. Times – Third grade, from 12:30-1:15 p.m.; Fourth grade, from 1:15-2 p.m.; Fifth grade, from 2 p.m.-2:45 p.m.
• Saturday – Poplar Springs Elementary Science Fair preparation, from 10:30 a.m-12:30 p.m., auditorium.
• Jan. 21 – Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s Birthday. All MPSD schools will be closed.
• Jan. 23-25 – Poplar Springs Elementary activity featuring Artist-in-Residence Charlie Busler, Panda Professional Development Room. For third-fifth grades
• Jan. 24 – Poplar Springs Elementary third grade students attend "The True Story of the Three Little Pigs," MSU Riley Center.
Here's a look at upcoming programs and events at Meridian Community College. For more information, call (601) 482-7455, unless otherwise noted:
• Jan. 21 – College closed in observance of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Jan. 21. Classes resume Jan. 22.
• Jan. 24 – GED graduation, 7 p.m., McCain Theater. FMI: (601) 484-8798.
• Jan. 24 – Continuing Education Open House, from 4 p.m.-6 p.m., Webb Hall.
• Jan. 26 – Continuing Education class: ServSafe, 8 a.m., Great Southern Room Room.
• Jan. 28-30 – Continuing Education class: Call Center Customer Service Classes, from 8 a.m.-4 p.m., Webb Hall.
• Jan. 29 – Continuing Education class: Introduction to Computers, from 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Webb Hall.