The Meridian Star
Editor's note: School news is a schedule of upcoming events, programs and other activities on area school and college campuses.
Information for School News should be submitted to The Meridian Star by 5 p.m. on the Monday before publication. Information may be mailed to P.O. Box 1591, Meridian, MS 39301; faxed to (601) 485-1275; or e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org (photos should be in JPEG format).
Here's a look at upcoming programs and events and city and county public, private and faith-based schools:
• Today – Crestwood Elementary School Accelerated Reader Celebration Carnival, from 1:15 p.m.- 2: 15 p.m.
• Today – Poplar Springs Elementary Student Council Installation, 9 a.m., PSE Auditorium
Here's a look at upcoming programs and events at Meridian Community College:
• Thursday – Continuing Education class: Ebay, Getting Ready for Christmas, 5:30 p.m., MCC Webb Hall. FMI: Joy Smith, (601) 484-8856.
• Thursday – Continuing Education class: “A Chair Affair,” from 4 p.m.-7 p.m., Embellish, 2626 North Hills St. Registration: $100. Bring your own wooden chair from home with a pop out, upholstered seat cushion. Participants will paint chair and recover seat cushion.
• Oct. 1-Nov. 19 – Continuing Education class: APICS CPIM Certification, from 5 p.m.-8 p.m., MCC Webb Hall Room 129. An APICS CPIM instructor will lead interactive discussions, case studies and strategic problem-solving exercises to help review for certification exam. Each module will be covered in 10 three-hour sessions. Participants will earn 3 CEUs per completed module. Certification exams may be taken at MCC’s Career Development Center. For more information call MCC Workforce Development at (601) 482-7445.
• Oct. 2-Nov. 6 – Continuing Education class: “Basic Plumbing and Beyond,” from 5 p.m.-9 p.m. Registration: $100. Learn plumbing repair, tools and terminology; become familiar with hardware and hear factory representatives detail the latest technologies; preparatory for more advanced classes. Class size limited. Call MCC Workforce Development at (601) 482-7445 for more information.
• Oct. 3 – Continuing Education class· Discover Scuba, from 6:30 p.m.-8:30 p.m., MCC Fitness Center Pool. Registration: $49. While not an actual scuba certification, participants will learn how to use scuba equipment in shallow water and get a quick and easy introduction to what it takes to explore the underwater world. For more information call MCC Community and Business Development at (601) 482-7445.
• Oct. 4 – Gourmet Dining with MCC, 6:00 p.m., Cater’s Market, 5201 Hwy. 493, Registration: $50. Participants will experience the newest “fine dining” Meridian has to offer. Chef Everette Hill will be in attendance. For more information, call (601) 482-4775.